Consumers are becoming increasingly health-conscious as they strive to achieve the lifestyle ideal of happy, healthy and balanced. The adverse effects of an unhealthy lifestyle are frequently broadcast in the media, which furthers the urgency among consumers seek out healthy products. However, consumers face many hurdles as they look to adopt healthy lifestyles including their own desires to indulge, an unwillingness to make wholesome lifestyle changes, and difficulty understanding nutritional information. The challenge facing the food and beverage industry is how to effectively target the health-conscious with products meeting their needs.
- Consumers globally are aware that health problems are on the rise, and owing to this, they are becoming increasingly health-conscious. Despite widespread awareness about the perils of an unhealthy lifestyle, other need states such as indulgence and convenience often disrupt otherwise healthy intentions.
- Organic and natural claims can prove successful in appealing to health-conscious consumers as they are intrinsically associated with being healthy and 'better for you'; even if in reality the actual nutritional content between organic and non-organic varieties is very similar.
- Historically, marketers have targeted healthy products at the youngest and oldest ends of the age spectrum, thereby neglecting those in-between. This has been ignoring those consumers aged from 25-34 who should actually be the main target for healthy products as they are at a lifestage where health is important to them, and they are young enough to do something about it.
- Rather than assuming that health-conscious consumers will be able to quickly transform their complete diet and lifestyle, manufacturers and marketers need to promote small changes that will have a larger impact on health in the long run. For instance, promoting sugar free carbonates as an alternative to high sugar varieties.
Canadean's 'The health trend: who to target and how to make it work for you' report is a detailed look into the health trend, focussing on consumer targets which will prove most successful, and their specific needs. The report explains the reasons why health is becoming increasingly salient to both individual consumers and society as a whole, and what needs to happen to effectively target these consumers. The report details current and future expectations of behavior towards to the health, derived from the survey responses of 52,000 global consumers in 48 countries.
What else does this report offer?
- An investigation into how the health trend manifests in society and how to sentiment towards health has evolved
- Key attitudes and behaviors influencing consumption patterns globally
- Appraisals of current strategies which are commonly used to target the health trend, and how to improve and update these strategies to attract the modern consumer
- Key recommendations for manufacturers from product, targeting, and retail perspectives
- A new and fresh look at the health trend, ignoring common stereotypes, allows brands to effectively target the modern consumer with exactly what they want
- Streamline marketing budgets and feel confident in specific consumer-group targeting as data and analysis identifies the key audiences for the health trend
- Truly focus research and development on the specific needs of health-conscious consumers which are identified and explained
- Stay ahead of competitors and know what health-seeking consumers want next with recommended actions which clearly identify how to successfully adapt product strategies to the latest trends