South Korea - Telecommunication Services: Highly competitive and challenging (Strategy, Performance and Risk Analysis)
This report provides an in depth analysis of the South Korean telecommunication market, exploring key areas such as the current and forecast trends of the sectors, regional, global and country benchmarking for a comparative analysis, and the competitive landscape, including the top players. South Koreas telecom infrastructure is one of the most advanced in the world, with high broadband penetration levels and growing technological advancements. Among much more, readers can find further information on the South Korean telecoms market's technological development and drive in the report.
MarketLines Premium industry reports provide a comprehensive market view including sections on: industry risk & reward, key industry trends and drivers, industry SWOT analysis, industry benchmarking to compare key performance indicators with regional and global markets, competitive landscape, and innovation.
Adoption of LTE technology
LTE is a leading technology platform for mobile subscriptions. LTE subscriptions increased at 30.8% CAGR during 2012-16, from 15.8 million in 2012 to 46.3 million in 2016, and are expected to increase by 6.4% CAGR during 2016-21 to reach 63.1 million in 2021. The competitive position is a result of multiple factors, such as spectrum allocation and spectrum price among others. With an increase in penetration, South Korea offers LTE services through spectrums with bandwidths on 1800 MHz and 2.1 GHz bands.
Mobile telecom market is saturated in South Korea
High mobile penetration rates in South Korea indicate that there is limited opportunity for growth in the country. Mobile penetration increased at 2.5% CAGR during 2012-16 from 110.2% in 2012 to 121.6% in 2016, and is expected to increase at 1.9% CAGR over 2016-2021 to reach 133.5% by 2021.
Fixed revenue significantly contributes to total revenue
Fixed communications service revenue declined marginally at -0.8% CAGR during 2012-16, from US$9,352.9 million in 2012 to US$9,052.2 million in 2016, and is expected to decline marginally at -0.5% CAGR during 2016-21 to reach US$8,825.6 million. The fixed broadband internet component is promising and is poised to grow, though it will be offset by falling fixed voice service revenue.
- Risk/Reward Index - enables you to assess the risks and potential rewards of investing in the South Korean telecommunications market in comparison with other Asia-Pacific countries.
- Industry Snapshot and Industry View - Key Telecommunications Industry Statistics, including fixed/mobile revenue, subscriptions, churn, market share, and ARPS, are analyzed to reveal the key issues and trends that drive market performance in the South Korean telecommunications market.
- Industry SWOT Analysis - Discover the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats impacting market performance and investments in the South Korean telecommunications market.
- Industry Benchmarking - Benchmark how the South Korean telecommunications market is performing compared to the regional and global markets in terms of fixed or mobile revenue, subscriptions, ARPS, penetration, and usage to gauge potential for growth or market entry.
- Competitive Landscape - Analyze and compare the performance of the leading players in the South Korean telecommunications market through the business segment on metrics such as churn, ARPU, and subscriber and revenue growth.
Reasons to buy
- What was the market performance over the review period, and what is it forecast to be in terms of: revenues, subscribers, ARPU, and customer churn?
- How are bundled services offered by operators affecting churn rates in the South Korean telecom market?
- What are the key developments of the market, and which entities were involved?
- What opportunities and challenges are offered in the South Korean telecom market; how have the markets strengths and weaknesses effected growth and development?
- A comprehensive breakdown of the leading players in the South Korean telecommunications industry?
- What are the key technological advancements, and how are they impacting the market?
- What are the key drivers of the market in the industrys main segments, namely Voice, Data, Prepaid, Postpaid, Broadband, and IPTV, and how these might change over the forecast period?
- What are the changes in the financial deals landscape over 2015 to 2016?