'Portugal: Fiber Broadband Presents the Most Attractive Opportunity for Telecom Operators,' a new Country Intelligence Report by Pyramid Research, offers a precise, incisive profile of Portugal's mobile and fixed telecommunications based on comprehensive proprietary data and insights from our research in the Portuguese market. Published annually, this presentation-quality, executive-level report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type, technology and platform across the fixed telephony, broadband and mobile sectors, in addition to a review of key regulatory trends.
- The fixed broadband segment, fueled by adoption of next-generation networks (NGNs), is the most important driver for growth. Historically, Portugal has had low take-up of fixed broadband. Nonetheless, the country fares better than the average in the region when it comes to NGN technologies capable of providing at least 30Mbps. We expect the growth of fiber-based broadband to remain strong over the forecast period, helping Portugal reduce the broadband penetration gap with the major regional markets.
- The fixed/mobile revenue split will be inclined toward mobile services. Despite the growth of fixed broadband, demand for fixed services is affected negatively by declining traditional fixed circuit-switched lines. In the mobile segment, LTE coverage is already better than in most European markets, edging close to 100% for all three operators. As a result, subscribers are replacing mobile voice services with mobile data services not only on 3G but also on 4G networks.
- We expect further MandA over the coming quarters, especially in the cable segment. The Portuguese market has already gone through significant consolidation in the past two years. The most important change was the sale by Orange of its 20% stake in Sonaecom, the former parent company of Optimus. At the end of last year, Vodafone expressed its interest in acquiring a cable company in Portugal, after taking over cable companies in Spain and Germany. We believe that Cabovisao will be a primary acquisition target for Vodafone.
This report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Portugal today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2019. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Portugal's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Portugal in a regional context: a comparative review of market size and trends with that of other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Portugal.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as forecasts and historical figures of service revenue from fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and data markets.
- The service evolution: a look at the change in the breakdown of overall revenue by fixed and mobile sectors and by voice and data in the current year as well as the end of the forecast period.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and service providers' performance, revenue market shares and expected moves over the next 18-24 months.
- An in-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony and broadband services, mobile voice and data services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by technology/platform as well as operator, average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Portugal's telecommunications markets.
- This Country Intelligence Report helps executives build proactive, profitable growth strategies by offering comprehensive, relevant analysis of Portugal's communications market. The analysis is based on insights directly from the local market players.
- The report offers a wealth of data on the telecom markets, with the mobile and fixed segments examined in detail.
- The competitive landscape and the major players are given extra attention, enabling local players or prospective market entrants to gain the insight they need.
- The broad but detailed perspective will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players to succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Portugal.
- The report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality that allows it to be turned into presentable material immediately.
- The report concludes with an exploration of the opportunities available in the Portugal market to operators, vendors and investors.