The telecom market in Hong Kong is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 1.0% (0.5% in local currency terms) during 2016-2021, primarily driven by growth in data revenue. Mobile data and fixed Internet will be the primary growth drivers during the 2016-2021 period, owing to operators' investments in 4G and fiber network expansion and adoption of fixed and mobile broadband services. Vendors will have significant opportunities to support operators' initiatives in network expansion, modernization of network infrastructure and deployments of high-speed network technology solutions.
- The overall telecom service revenue in Hong Kong is estimated to generate $5.6bn in 2016 and will grow at a CAGR of 1.5% during 2016-2021, to reach $5.9bn by 2021. The growth will be mainly driven by the data segment (fixed and mobile).
- The Hong Kong telecom market will be dominated by PCCW-HKT and SmarTone, which provide fixed, mobile and pay-TV services, accounting for an estimated share of 63.9% in 2016. Operators are focusing on providing integrated services to attract customers. To meet the rising data demand, operators will continue to invest in network expansion and infrastructure development, which will further intensify competition in the telecom market.
- The adoption of 4G services will continue to grow due to operator's continuous investment in LTE and LTE-A networks to offer higher speeds and provide better network connectivity.
Hong Kong: Operators Expand Networks and Work to Differentiate Services in Saturated Market provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Hong Kong today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2021. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Hong Kong's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Regional context: Telecom market size and trends in Hong Kong compared with other countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Hong Kong.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, fixed Internet, mobile voice and mobile data.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2014 to 2021.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Hong Kong's telecommunications market.
- Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of the telecommunications market in Hong Kong, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Hong Kong's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer's demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the telecom market in Hong Kong.
- Analysis of key telecom players in the markets and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Hong Kong.