France is the third largest telecoms market in Western Europe after the UK and Germany and is estimated to generate revenue of $37.3bn in 2015. The total market revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.7% over 2015-20 to reach $42.6bn in 2020 driven by the growth in mobile data segment. The revenue mix will remain evenly distributed between fixed and mobile through to 2020, as mobile revenue will be under pressure for the next few years. Orange France is the leader in all markets. Competition intensified in the French mobile market after the entry of Free in 2012, which successfully penetrated the market with its low-cost offerings. 3G subscriptions currently account for more than half of the total mobile subscriptions and the proposed auction of six blocks of 4G-suitable spectrum in the 700MHz band by the end of 2015 will aid in further increasing the uptake of 4G. The M2M market will offer a considerable growth opportunity for mobile operators in a market already highly penetrated. Increased efforts by the operators to deploy fiber and 4G coverage offers opportunities for network vendors
- In 2015, France will be the third largest telecom services market in Western Europe, with estimated revenue of $37.3bn (35.8bn) or 1.7% of nominal GDP, behind the UK ($52.0bn) and Germany ($42.8bn)
- Mobile data and fixed broadband services will drive this revenue improvement thanks to LTE network roll-out (operators aim to nearly reach widespread population coverage by 2020), the government's broadband plan to improve coverage in rural areas, and increasing operators' fiber investments
- LTE subscriptions will reach 62.9m in 2020 (67.8% of all mobile subscriptions) while 2G will drop to 9.2% of total subscriptions (this includes a large number of mobile M2M cards on 2G networks)
- Broadband penetration in France will reach 41.2% in 2015, which is higher when compared to some of the markets in the region including UK and Germany.
- The pay-TV market in France will generate $3.3bn in service revenue in 2015. Household penetration by year-end 2015 is estimated at 76.4%, or 21.3m subscriptions.
France: LTE, fiber and emerging revenue streams will help telecoms and pay-TV operators to ultimately stabilize revenue provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in France today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into the French telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- France in a regional context; a comparative review of market size and trends with that of other countries in the region
- Economic, demographic and political context in France
- The regulatory environment and trends; a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability, and more
- A demand profile; analysis as well as forecasts and historical figures of service revenue from fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and data, and pay-TV markets
- The service evolution; a look at the change in the breakdown of overall revenue by fixed/pay-TV and mobile sectors and by voice, data and video in the current year as well as the end of the forecast period
- The competitive landscape; an examination of key trends in competition and service providers' performance, revenue market shares and expected moves over the next 18-24 months
- An in-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony and broadband services, mobile voice and data services, and pay-TV services; a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by technology/platform as well as operator, average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period
- Main opportunities; this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets in France
- Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of the France telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in French mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer's demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the France's telecom market.
- Analysis of key telecom players in the markets and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in France.