As consumer trends drive innovation and purchase behavior it is increasingly vital to understand how to shape products to best meet them. This brief outlines the most important consumer and product trends impacting the tobacco category globally, using Canadean's TrendSights mega-trend framework as a basis to organize the key themes covered.
- Each section contains a concise SWOT analysis that outlines how each TrendSights mega-trend can be applied to the tobacco category.
- Consumer insight analysis covering 24 countries globally highlights the key attitudes and behaviors driving consumers' purchase of tobacco products.
- Case studies and numerous product examples throughout the brief showcase best-in-class innovations in tobacco products from across the globe.
- Key considerations and potential opportunities have been identified based on consumer preferences and recent product innovations in this category.
- How do Canadean's mega-trends apply specifically to tobacco? How is this likely to evolve over the next few years?
- Where is innovation occurring in tobacco and what does it look like?
- Going forward, what are some of the potential opportunities and key considerations for tobacco manufacturers?
- How are industry players using the online space to more effectively engage with consumers?
Older consumers (aged 55-plus) are the biggest spenders in the tobacco category globally, although share varies by region. In emerging markets such as China and India, younger consumers tend to be the biggest spenders on tobacco products, highlighting the strong growth opportunities in these markets.
Growing focus on Health andamp; Wellness is having a hugely detrimental impact on the category, limiting sales and marketing opportunities, and preventing tobacco brands from operating as classic FMCG brands. This is leading to greater innovation, such as e-cigarettes and additive-free tobacco, in response to demand for healthier alternatives.
Data provided in easy-to-use tables in Excel