Cigarette consumption in Malaysia has fluctuated since 1990, and has recently been in decline. Awareness of the dangers posed by smoking is increasing, limiting the development of the legitimatesector, while smuggled cigarettes, rising to a reported 38.9% of the market in 2013, are a major problemfor the industry. Tax hikes usually exacerbate the problem but the government is keen to raise taxes todeter smoking and raise revenues.Fall inconsumption was a result of rises in excise duty andincreased non-duty paid sales.
- Production comprises predominantly filter cigarettes, although the proportion accounted for by plain cigarettes is higher than in several other Asian markets. By 2003, sources suggested that 90% of volumes were filter, with this share remaining unchanged since.
- BAT Malaysia is the clear leader with a 61.9% share in 2013. Most of this is based on its acquired Rothmans' brands, especially Dunhill, which is the market leader with an increased 47.2% of sales as of 2013. JTI ranks second with 20.3% and much of its share is due to the popularity of its Salem and Winston brands. Philip Morris International (PMI) ranks third and has 15.5%.
- Overall sales are set to fall further in 2015 as the recent impact of tax hikes continue to be felt. Thereafter sales will show some recovery as the market benefits from the expected fall in the profile of the non-duty paid sector. Sales in 2023 are forecast at 8.8% down on 2013.
Cigarettes in Malaysia, is an analytical report by Canadean which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Malaysian market.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2014 to 2023.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers' product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the shifting market dynamics is key to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future