Over the top (OTT) messaging leaders are rapidly evolving their key mobile messaging application interfaces to new voice and video communications, with revenue dilution implications for carriers worldwide. The progress made in mobile IP voice and video this year alone from key OTT players such as Facebook and Google is a clear indication of heightened mobile communications competitive pressure from these new players in 2016 and beyond. Operator have picked up the pace with the deployment of new digital communications technologies such as VoLTE ,Wi-Fi Calling and WebRTC. Despite its slow growth to date, Rich Communications Services (RCS) may turn out to be mobile operators best-bet in offsetting the OTT competition, supported by large industry partners. Few carriers are giving enough thought to the B2B2C opportunities implicit in WebRTC and far too many continue to view the technology as a threat to their existing calling business, as opposed to an opportunity for external monetization. We believe that provisioning easy-to-access developer tools and WebRTC APIs for in-browser communications has the potential to revolutionize the carrier wholesale business on a whole new digital level.
- Telcos are focusing on Rich Communications Services (RCS) opportunity, which is charged as a premium VAS or as part of a standard mobile communications package, in order to combat the mounting mobile communications competitive pressure from OTT players. Carriers in the US, APAC and Europe are looking to align VoLTE capabilities with RCS for more advanced IP communication services.
- Wi-Fi calling has been launched by a large number of different industry participants including mobile incumbents, cable and fixed-players, with a wide variation in use case. The operators are positioning Wi-Fi calling as a cheaper alternative for cellular calling to avoid high roaming costs and markets as coverage enhancement value-add, especially for indoor calling.
- Companies such as Telenor, ATandT and Telefonica are experimenting with Web browser-based, real-time communications for voice and video communications. Provisioning easy-to-access developer tools and WebRTC APIs for in-browser communications has the potential to revolutionize the carrier wholesale business on a whole new digital level.
Carrier digital communications: Agility in innovative use cases will maximize service provider opportunities report by Pyramid Research describes the state of the carrier digital communications market, analyzes the market drivers and details a number of industry and service provider initiatives that highlight how technologies from VoLTE to Wi-Fi Calling and WebRTC is moving towards commercialization.
The report comprises of the following sections:
- Section 1: The carrier digital communications imperative
- Section 2: Digital communications technology trends
- Section 3: Digital communications carrier deployments and case studies
- Section 4: Whats next for digital communications?
- Section 5: Key Findings and recommendations
- Review technologies and services operators are deploying to compete with OTT service providers
- Learn best practices in positioning VoLTE, RCS and Wi-Fi calling services.
- Assess competitive products built around mesh networking.
- Assess the various revenue models available with WebRTC APIs.