The use of scent within the home has been characterized by an increasingly nuanced, premium tendency drawing on consumers' aspirations and desire to move beyond odor prevention into image making. Products that can make this transition from basic needs such as air or fabric freshening into a sensory form of home décor can exploit such aspirations.
- Unstopables' selection of products has been developed to form a complementary, complete household fragrance solution/suite. This was in line with PandG's idea that Unstopables lives within the home décor sphere rather than simple fabric or air freshener segments. Indeed, the firm chose to dub the wider line as effectively creating a new segment called "scent décor".
- A majority of US consumers like adding fragrances to the home through various means. Scent is a key sensory trigger for consumers building all sorts of associations, positive and negative. The opportunity identified by PandG centered on the impression created by scent of aspiration or upscale living.
- Accessibility has been an important contributor to the success of Unstopables. A nationwide presence via the discount channel makes the products easy and convenient to get hold of. On the surface, the idea of discount distribution seems incongruous with a premium positioning, but this has the benefit of widening the audience and building the image of affordable luxury.
"Success Case Study: PandG Downy/Febreze Unstopables" is part of Canadean's Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the success of Procter and Gamble's Downy and Febreze Unstopables range of home and fabric fragrance products.
It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Reasons To Buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.
Table Of ContentsNAList Of TablesNAList Of FiguresNA