Consumers associate local or locally produced products with myriad benefits. Local foods are seen as fresher, healthier, higher quality, safer, and better for the environment. Local foods are also viewed as helping local economies. Foraging is an old, but new idea that could take the local concept to the next level with edible plants or animals sourced from the wild.
- Food foraging is trending as a fun, challenging, and educational activity as well as a literal way for consumers to eat local.
- Foraged foods include a diverse array of edible plants including fruits, greens, weeds, nuts, seeds, and flowers, as well as fungi, fish, and seafood.
- Restaurants are elevating the foraging concept by using foraged ingredients to create new, cutting-edge dishes that change frequently.
- Foraging is beginning to impact the supermarket trade, with new technology helping stores offer foraged foods to shoppers for the first time.
ForeSights: Food Foraging looks at the concept of sourcing edible plants and animals from the wild and how this concept is impacting the fast-moving consumer goods industry. Foraged foods can deliver a taste sensation that is hard to duplicate in cultivated foods. Foraging could become a new source of flavor and ingredient innovation for packaged foods and beverages.
This report was compiled using Canadean's ForeSights methodology, which aims to identify new concepts that could influence the market in fast-moving consumer goods.
Your key questions answered:
- What types of food are commonly foraged?
- How are beverage-makers and food flavor producers leveraging the foraging concept?
- Does foraging have downsides?
- The app world has discovered food foraging. How are new apps making food foraging easier, safer, and more productive?
- What food or beverage categories might be good candidates for using foraged foods or flavors?
Reasons To Buy
- Consider emerging opportunities and threats in the fast-moving consumer goods market and gain insight into potential future consumer behavior.
- Identify interesting new and emerging concepts, products, and ideas on offer in retail, foodservice, online spaces, and beyond.
- Understand how new concepts and ideas fit into - or challenge - current consumer trends.
- Gain insight and inspiration for innovation programs and new product development.
Table Of ContentsAbout ForeSights
What foods are typically foraged?
Is foraging for fish or seafood really sustainable?
Foraging has been elevated by the restaurant trade
Restaurants are making more direct links to foraging
Foraging can be compatible with urban environments
The downside: foraging can be deadly
Foraging offers a way to capitalize on local ingredients
Foraged ingredients are driving beverage creativity
A craft brewer makes foraging its reason for being
Foraging hits the supermarket
The app world is discovering food foraging
Foraged flavors could accelerate flavor innovation
How could food foraging change the future?
AppendixList Of TablesN/AList Of FiguresN/A