Protein-rich microalgae are nutrient dense which gives them great potential as a food source and a functional ingredient. This ForeSights report was compiled according to Canadean Consumer's ForeSights methodology, which aims to identify new concepts that could influence consumer trends or have a future commercial application in consumer packaged goods.
- Consider emerging opportunities and threats in the consumer packaged goods market and gain insight into potential future consumer behavior.
- Identify interesting new and emerging concepts, products, and ideas on offer in retail, foodservice, online spaces, and beyond.
- Understand how new concepts and ideas fit in to - or challenge - current consumer trends.
- Gain insight and inspiration for innovation programs and new product development.
Reasons To Buy
- What are microalgae and why is the product trending now?
- What opportunities do edible algae as a food source present for the CPG industry?
- What limitations do edible algae as a food source pose to CPG manufacturers?
- What does the concept of edible algae tell me about potential developments in consumer behavior?
Microalgae's multiple health benefits appeal to consumers who are increasingly embracing the "convenient health" attributes of functional products. These nutrient-dense microorganisms are rich in protein, antioxidants, gluten-free, non-allergenic, and non-GMO.
Up to 60% of algae consist of protein, which could provide a plant alternative to animal-derived protein. Opportunities thus exist to tap into microalgae's potential application in meat-free products. Microalgae offer a potential means of addressing food scarcity in the long term, making it an emerging ingredient to watch out for.
Table Of ContentsN/AList Of TablesN/AList Of FiguresN/A