As adventurous consumers seek antidotes to boredom and monotony, flavor innovation presents a valuable route to growth for carbonated drinks. Flavors inspired by a range of ethnic cuisines and ingredients are a high growth segment, which reflects consumers exposure and growing interest in new cultures and experiences. Rare and unconventional ingredients are also an important platform for innovation, as they can enhance perceptions of exclusivity and sophistication - which many brands desire but few successfully achieve.
- Underscoring the merits of flavor innovation in the category, traditional fruity flavors become less appealing as consumption frequency increases.
- Brands should be wary of positioning new and unusual flavors in a purely youth-oriented manner (as is typically the case with flavor innovation), as demand for innovative flavors transcends age.
- Flavor Appeal in Carbonated Drinks offers insight into flavor preferences within the carbonated drink category, and explores corresponding opportunities for flavor innovation. It identifies regional- and demographic-specific nuances between preferences that can help inform efforts to target new or existing consumers.
- CONSUMER INSIGHT: Access information from our consumer surveys to evidence the appeal of different flavors.
- DRIVERS: Understand the key insights and trends that are growing the market.
- INNOVATION: See the best examples of innovation, linked to clearly identified trends.
Reasons To Buy
- Identifies and analyzes the most appealing flavors and flavor types in carbonated drinks.
- Offers insight into the consumer segments that are most likely to be a key focus for innovation.
- Places flavor preferences into context by connecting them to specific consumer trends and needs.
- Provides insight and inspiration for innovation programs and new product development.
Table Of ContentsIntroduction
Attitudes and approaches to flavor selection
Carbonated drink flavor preferences at a glance
Flavor preferences by consumption frequency
Flavor preferences by region
Opportunities by flavor type: fruity
Opportunities by flavor type: unique
Opportunities by flavor type: tart/sour
Opportunities by flavor type: dessert
High-growth flavor segment: Asian pantry staples
MethodologyList Of TablesN/AList Of FiguresN/A